Claim Your Business Name Online
It is extremely important as a business to claim your name online, after all this is how you will be found and recognised on the internet. We place a lot of importance on staking claim of your online name, not only for businesses but also for individuals and because of this have chosen to make this our first step in our guide to online marketing.
For businesses the importance comes from the need to ensure you own your name on the internet is secured, this is what customers will recognise and be looking for. When it comes to individuals, it is more about having your own, constant piece of the web that is separate to the waxing and waining of different social media networks. It also allows you to personalise your email address or utilise your website as a contact card for potential employers.
We are going to highlight a few of the key points that will set you up for success and ensure that the people that are looking for you will find the 'right' you!
Once you have determined your business name, possibly even before you have finalised your business name - secure that domain name!!! Purchasing a domain name doesn't require that you be paying for any website hosting or website design (this comes once you want to start your website), you simply purchase the ability to use that name for the time frame you have paid for. Make this a matter of urgency as once someone else has it, it can be very expensive or downright impossible to get the URL that you want.
Listed below is a few steps or points to consider when purchasing your domain names:
- Find a domain name registrar - you can purchase domains through companies such as Domain.com or Hover.
- Search for your desired domain name - if its available BUY IT!! If not consider other domain extensions such as .net, .biz etc
- Once you have secured your own domain e.g. newbusiness.com, it is a wise idea to also secure other variants of this domain such as newbusiness.net, newbusiness.org. or even common misspellings of your name e.g. newbusness.com. This helps to ensure that if someone inadvertently mistypes your URL they still find your page.
- If your desired name is not free, Registrars like Hover make it easy to see if they are available for sale and for how much - a very nice feature.
Special Offer for Caffeinated Readers @ Domain.com
Now that you have secured your domain names, it is time to lock down your presence on social media. One nice thing about social media is that there can be more than one page with the same name, just like there is more than one 'John Smith'. Even though this may be the case, only one person can have a vanity url for their social media, for example 'facebook.com/johnsmith' and you want that to be you...right?
Just like you want to steak your claim in the domain name gold rush, it is preferable to do the same when it comes to social media. This can be done at any time even if you are not planning on setting up your facebook or twitter account for some time to come, so best to get in early.
Here's a couple of suggestions when it comes to social media:
- Secure a page on the main social media networks; Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus & possibly Linked In.
- Facebook: Utilise your networks and send some invites or ask friends / customers to 'like' your page, the quicker you can get 30 'likes' the quicker you can secure your vanity facebook URL rather than having a long string of numbers - it's easier for discoverability and recognition.
- Upload some basic info on all of your profiles, including your website address - these can act as a landing page for your main website until you get your social media working full time.